The purpose of this study was to better understand the impact of key activities common in the perioperative surgical home (PSH) on surgical care costs and efficiencies. The activities contribute to improved surgical patient outcomes, operating room, efficiency, and significant cost savings. The activities and their benefits are listed below.
Cost saving activities
- Coordinated preparative testing, $378 cost savings per patient due of 0.9-day reduction in length of stay.
- Blood utilization programs, $107 saved per patient after implementation of group-and-save policy.
- Early mobilization programs, $756 per patient cost savings due to 1.8-day reduction in length of stay.
- Coordinated discharge planning, $412 per patient reduction in total cost.
- Prehabilitation programs, $288.33 per quality-adjusted life year.
Time saving activities
- Preoperative patient education, 4-hour decrease in postoperative ICU stay.
- Operating room scheduling initiatives, 22.5% decrease in operating room turnaround time
Other saving activities
- Nausea and vomiting protocols, 16% more patients achieved complete response with standardized protocol
For more information Contact: Bita Kash ( email@example.com )